The school newspaper of Stafford High School

The Smoke Signal

Timeline of Friday the Thirteenth

The lights on the Eiffel Tower's lights were turned off to mourn the dead after the attacks on Friday.

Alain Jocard-- AFP/Getty Images

Alain Jocard-- AFP/Getty Images

Isabel Molina, Editor

Last Friday was a day to remember.  On November 13, Paris, Beirut, and Baghdad were all victims of terrorist attacks which terrorist organizations claimed responsibility for.  Japan and Mexico also suffered from earthquakes.  These events on Friday the thirteenth 2015 ended dozens of lives.

Paris

France and Germany competed in a soccer match in Stade de France. One explosion occurred outside entrance D, another inside, each executed by a suicide bomber.  Four people died.

1. Gunmen murdered 15 people at two different restaurants with assault rifles at Le Carillon and Le Petit Cambodge.
  2. Five people were shot at the bar A La Bonne Biere.
  3. La Belle Equipe lost nineteen lives in another shooting.
  4. Comptoir Voltaire lost no lives, but suffered injuries, at the hands of a suicide bomber.
  5. At a concert where Eagles of Death Metal, a US band, gunmen open fired during the performance at the Bataclan.  89 people died.  A few concert attendees were taken hostage and held on stage. n French police launched a counterassault against the shooters.  Two shooters activated their suicide belts and another was killed by the police.  One gunman was identified as Ismael M.
  6. ISIS has since claimed responsibility for these attacks.

paris attacksPhilippe Wojazer/Reuters

Beirut

1. The Islamic State group that controls certain areas in Syria assumed responsibility for a double suicide bombing in a majority Shiite area in a busy area at rush hour.  43 people died.

via democracynow.orgvia democracynow.org

Baghdad

1. The Islamic State, yet again, assumed responsibility for another suicide bombing against Shiites in Baghdad, ending 21 lives at a memorial service for a Shiite militia fighter who died in battle.
  2. A separate bomb ended five lives by detonating at a Shiite shrine in Sadr City.

Japan

1. A 7.0 earthquake occurred off the coast of Japan, triggering a minor tsunami.

Mexico

1. Another earthquake occurred in Baja California at a magnitude of 4.3 with no reported deaths.