The school newspaper of Stafford High School

The Smoke Signal

Choir Wows in Districts

Stafford Chorus wows at Districts Assessment.
Left to right:  Senior Jon Carr, senior Trevor White, senior AC Walter, junior Demitri Funnell

Stafford Chorus wows at Districts Assessment. Left to right: Senior Jon Carr, senior Trevor White, senior AC Walter, junior Demitri Funnell

Hellen Murphy via AC Walter's Instagram profile

Isabel Molina, Editor

Stafford Choir attended District Assessment this past Wednesday and received highest possible ratings.

Though it was not a competition and only an assessment, Stafford Choir received the “superior rating,” which is the highest score.

Among the four different subsets of choir are Women’s, Men’s, Advanced Women’s, and Chambers Singers.  Senior Wendy Jennings, the Stafford Smoke Signal’s cartoonist, sang Lay a Garland and Canticum Novum in Chambers at her assessment.

“In a choir, if one person stands out, it’s a bad thing,” Jennings said.  “It’s a group effort.  I felt really well prepared and confident because I knew we had spend a lot of time rehearsing and we were all experienced singers.”

Senior AC Walter is in Men’s Choir and Chambers.  With each subset, two songs were performed.  In addition to his Chambers performance, he performed Goodnight Dear Heart and A-rovin with Men’s Choir.

“It’s like the choir’s SOL test,” Walter said.  “Both those groups earned a superior rating which is the best you can get.”

The next choir event is the spring concert in May.

“Mr. Eveler always prepares his choir really well for events like this,” Jennings said.  “I wasn’t worried at all.”