The Smoke Signal

Stafford honors victims of Parkland shooting

In response to the school shooting in Parkland, Fl., Stafford has organized several initiatives to honor and remember those who lost their lives.

Next week, on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 18 posters will be set up during the lunch period for students to write something. Each poster will represent someone who was killed, and one of the posters is for the school.  Students can write their name, a simple message or whatever they feel most comfortable sharing in order to let the families that have lost a loved one know that we care.

On Wednesday, March 14, a month since the shooting, Stafford will be participating in a nationwide moment of silence at 10:00 a.m. to come together as a whole country for the ones who lost their lives.

Stafford will also be doing their own form of commemoration on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, the entire school is encouraged to dress in the colors of Stoneman Douglas High School: burgundy and silver.

There will be 17 minutes of silence starting at 1:53 p.m.

During the silence, Stafford will play a slideshow. Students will read the name of a person who lost their life that day along with the accompaniment of the ringing of a bell.

Stafford is doing this at the end of the day for the seventeen people who went into the school that morning and never got to leave.

Students are allowed to do a sit in at this time. They can get out of their seats and sit in the hallway in silence as opposed to having a walkout.

During this time students are encouraged to be respectful by not doing any work and instead thinking about what has been taken away from the people in Parkland, Fl. who are students and staff just like the ones at Stafford.