The Smoke Signal

• COLLEGE VISITS: University of Lynchburg 10/30 at 1:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: St. Bonaventure 10/29 at 1:30

• COLLEGE VISITS: Scad 10/25 at 1:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: Germanna Community College 10/24 and 2/13 at 9:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: Virginia Commonwealth University 10/18 at 8:30

• COLLEGE VISITS: Widener University 10/15 at 1:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: Hollins University 10/12 at 1:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: Catawba College 10/12 at 8:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: Richard Bland University 10/2 at 9:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: Randolph College 10/2 at 8:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: Randolph Macon College 9/25 @ 1:00

• COLLEGE VISITS: Mary Baldwin University 9/24 at 10:30

• COLLEGE VISITS: University of Mary Washington 9/24 at 8:30

• COLLEGE VISITS: Christopher Newport University 9/20 at 1:30

• COLLEGE VISITS: College of William and Mary 9/18 at 12:30

Students March to End Gun Violence

RAISING+HER+ARM%3A+Junior+Sophie+Capra+was+one+of+the+students+who+attended+the+march.+%22Seeing+all+the+students+my+age+creating+a+platform+was+really+empowering%2C%22+Sophie+Capra+said.+%22No+matter+what+political+party+you+associate+with%2C+and+no+matter+your+age%2C+you+can+make+a+change+in+this+country.%22+
RAISING HER ARM: Junior Sophie Capra was one of the students who attended the march.

RAISING HER ARM: Junior Sophie Capra was one of the students who attended the march. "Seeing all the students my age creating a platform was really empowering," Sophie Capra said. "No matter what political party you associate with, and no matter your age, you can make a change in this country."

Susie Webb, Page Editor, Online Editor

Raising their voices for a cause, several students from Stafford attended the March For Our Lives Rally held on March 24 in Washington, D.C. For many, this was their first time participating in an official march.

“It was surreal,” senior Nate Smith said. “It was crazy seeing all of those people gathered for the same thing. I see it on TV all the time, but it was different being out there.”

Hordes of people filled the streets to advocate for change and fight for the safety of students in schools.

“Seeing the diverse group of people was most memorable for me,” said junior Aidan Poteet, president of the Young Democrats Club. “It was not what you would expect to see. You would expect that there would just be students, but there were a lot of middle aged adults there as well.”

The students who attended were marching to honor the victims of school shootings, push for changes in gun laws and send a message to the administration that this is an issue that will not go away.

“I think there should be some common sense gun reform,” Poteet said. “I think the march helps spread awareness. It shows that students care about what’s going on in the world.”

Different people were advocating for different levels of gun control. While some were more radical in their opinions, others remained more conservative and focused on wanting to protect the students.

“I don’t believe in banning all guns,” senior Marcus Tran said. “That’s clearly against our second amendment right, but I do agree with banning certain guns. We have to do something. We haven’t done much to defend our schools against school shootings or domestic violence.”

One of the main reasons that the students of Stafford were marching was to improve background checks.

“I believe that it is okay for people to have guns, but we need better background checks and mental health evaluations,” junior Jacquie Capra said.

At the march, Emma Gonzales, one of the students at Parkland, gave a powerful speech in which she read the names of the victims of the school shooting. She stood on stage for 6 minutes and 20 seconds which was the amount of time the shooter was in her school.

“The most memorable moment for me was Gonzales’ speech,” freshman A.J. Gosset said. “Most people were confused through the thing. It was really emotional and impactful. People around us were getting teary eyed and it was a really important moment.”

Overall, the march has given students an outlet to become more politically active and involved with their communities. The students of Stafford are looking for change, and they know that the only way change can happen is if the younger generations get out and vote.

“Voting is how we get people to actually make gun violence stop,” Jacquie Capra said. “It’s the only way that we can change our government and change our society.”

Sophie Capra
COVERING THE GROUND: After the march, posters littered the ground bringing attention to school safety.